Oregon Health Sciences University (OHSU), the state’s only health and research university, is a city within a city. Located at the top of Marquam Hill, it covers more than 100 acres and includes 31 major buildings dedicated to education, research and patient care. The addition of a new 335,000-square-foot patient care facility to the health care campus brought with it not only more beds, specialized units and outpatient practices, it brought the addition of a much needed parking structure. Within two weeks of the initial structural pour, the only roadway to the south side of the hospital needed to be open. Waterproofing throughout the project was critical, but with inhabited space below the road, the traffic generated by 11,000 employees plus patients and the time demands, no standard solution would do.
Since concrete is naturally porous and fine cracks will occur over time from expansion and contraction due to climate changes, the selection of products for use above inhabited areas is particularly important. The potential for leaks must be eliminated.
Fluid-applied coatings provide a seam-less water barrier along with the ability to elongate to bridge cracks that develop over the years. Traditional coatings, however, require application to fully cured and dry concrete and a wait of two to four weeks.
Tremco’s TREMproof® 250GC was developed with a new polymeric system that allows excellent adhesion to wet and damp concrete while preventing the excess moisture from evaporating out of the fresh concrete too quickly. The coating cures in four hours while allowing the concrete to cure to a higher quality material.
With its ability to be applied to “green”, or damp, concrete and its quick cure, TREMproof 250GC allowed the job to be completed in record time. Forty drums of TREMproof 250GC were applied and within 7-10 days the road was open and ready for the rest of the massive construction project to continue.
THE TREMCO SOLUTION
TREMproof 250GC Waterproofing Membrane, a revolutionary high solids, one-part, cold fluid-applied elastomeric waterproofing membrane.
- Can be applied to “green”, or damp, concrete in a single lift up to 120 mils.
- Cures in up to four hours without pinholes or gassing.
- Adheres aggressively to concrete.
In addition, a complete package of building envelope waterproofing products included:
- TREMproof® 150HRA (Hot Rubberized Asphalt), a one-part, 100% solids, hot-applied, rubberized asphalt waterproofing membrane.
- Paraseal® LG Sheet Membrane, a multi-layer waterproofing system consisting of a self-sealing, expandable layer of granular bentonite high-density polyethylene and protected with a layer of spun polypropylene.
- TREMDrain® 1000 Drainage and Protection Board, a prefabricated drainage/protection material designed for vertical and horizontal installations requiring high compressive strength and high flow capacity.
- POWERply® Sheeting, a smooth-surfaced, modified bitumen sheet used as an extremely heavy-duty protection course, primarily in horizontal applications.
- Tremco Protection Mat, an ultra lightweight, extremely tough, 14-ounce protection course for waterproofing membranes.