Tremco has committed significant resources to develop superior technology and integrated systems that provide true solutions to the most troublesome gaps in building protection. Because Tremco is uniquely positioned with capabilities on wall systems, on glazing systems for windows, on waterproofing systems and so much more, developing bridges or connectors between these typically adjacent but unconnected building elements is not only a logical, but necessary outcome.
Integrated design is at the heart of the high performance, sustainable building. A high performance building is much more than the myriad of components that are utilized to construct it. Integrated design is the way these construction elements come together to ensure long-term performance of the building enclosure.
Building envelope repair and replacement in North America remains a multi-billion dollar expenditure. Most of the problems are moisture-related and caused either by air leakage or exterior moisture penetration and occur within the one percent of the building exterior containing the terminations and transition detailing. Furthermore 70% of all construction litigation is related to façade leakage.Longer facility life, energy reduction is dependent on the integrity of the building enclosure – minimizing air infiltration
Even modest improvements at any of these transitions can have a significant impact on the building’s energy use. In some cases, combining innovation with integrated design and the involvement of Tremco’s Building Envelope Solutions Team can take performance to dramatic new levels.
Going Beyond Assembly Performance - Connectivity is Key to Sustainability
In order to achieve sustainability, the building enclosure must be addressed in a holistic way by considering all aspects of design that can affect energy efficiency, durability and occupant comfort. There are literally hundreds of decisions during the design process. Each choice about material selection and detailing add together to provide either higher or lower overall performance.
Today, energy performance and the carbon footprint of buildings is becoming more and more important as realization is growing of the importance of reducing our dependence on diminishing energy resources. Even before the current growing recognition of the necessity to conserve energy, studies showed that 40% of energy consumption in buildings was caused by air leakage.
Beyond “Green Chemistry”
Beyond air barriers and transition assemblies, over three-fourths of the products and systems available from Tremco meet the strictest VOC laws required by the California Air Districts.
- Ongoing work with regulatory bodies to ensure all new products meet or exceed the most stringent rules anticipated
- Low viscosity resins are being used to help with VOC compliance as well as functional fillers and polyols based on renewable resources.
- With an emphasis on “green chemistry” solutions, a zero-phthalate policy is in place for all new and reformulated products.
- New products must consume at least 10% less energy to produce than any existing version or its next best alternate and cannot not contain or release (neither production or in use) any halogenated compounds, methane, carbon dioxide, nitrous oxide or other greenhouse gases.
Rather than fighting growing regulations domestically and abroad (REACH, SCAQMD, CARB, TSCA etc.), Tremco is paying close attention to the direction being taken and acceptance of such measures. Our goal is not to just respond to regulation, but to instead understand the regulatory direction and use this knowledge to shape our strategy moving forward.
Tremco is dedicated to protecting public health and ensuring that the chemicals in our products are safe for their intended use. We believe that the current efforts to reform legislation like the recent overhaul of toxic chemicals rules under TSCA brings us one step closer to ensuring this. We have a long history of sustainable efforts at our plants, and in our products and will continue to develop high performing greener technology. It is, therefore, our mission to develop sustainable solutions that create value for our customers through product/system performance, increased application efficiencies and life-cycle operational savings through:
- Product Stewardship - The elimination of components used in products today that may be harmful to human life, our environment or that may drain some of earth's irreplaceable resources is another aspect of our sustainable strategy. This development has also focused on performance, striving for longer life cycles, and less maintenance.
- Processes & Practices - We continue to make our business operations more environmentally responsible. This includes minimizing waste and increasing energy efficiency. Education is key internally and externally as we begin to develop a code of conduct across our business that exemplifies the standards we strive to achieve.
Existing Technologies Can Also Contribute to Sustainability
Enhancing the sustainability of construction doesn’t always mean new technology. There are other Tremco products or systems which reduce the impact of construction and the long-term existence of the building on the local ecosystem.
- Highly reflective white coatings complying with EnergyStar® and ASHRAE 90.1 guidelines for use on parking areas and other exposed concrete or asphaltic surfaces to reduce the heat island effect.
- Certain below-grade waterproofing membranes are tested and approved for use to prevent infiltration of pollutants such as methane, petroleum distillates/solvents and fuels during brownfield redevelopment.
- Potable water is of critical importance in our world today and prefabricated drainage board (with recycled content) for below-grade applications can act as an insulating layer, remove thermally conductive moisture from contact with the below-grade wall and, in certain applications, collect and redirect rain water for other purposes.